From the fourth floor of MLK building

I see...
A bird flies by
Waterproof wings flap in the rain
I wave and it dips a wing
Fly with me if you will.
We have places to see
Stretch your wings and fly with me

I see...
Students walking Sproul Plaza below
Hoods on, umbrellas an optic cup
backpacks bent against the rain
They have places to go
Telegraph and Durant, its lunchtime

I see...
the pep rally team outside Sproul Hall
Promoting Bonfire Rally this Friday
Students needed, muster the troops
They have work to do,  shine or rain
The Big Game is Saturday

I see ...
a school bus parked on Bancroft
Braving the rain, excited kids
Colorful coats in liquid sunshine
They have lots to learn
Cal is a fascinating university

I see..
tree leaves red, brown and gold
Giving large evergreens company
Calmly they stand
No rush to go places
That task left to students below them

I see ...
Sather Tower point to heavens above
100 years standing, a campanile.
Hourly reminder to scholars and seekers
The 23 Bells of the carillon chime
What's your plan, young man?

I see...
West Cresent of Oxford and University
Grass glistening in new raindrops.
I must now go.
My next lecture is at Li Ka Shing next door

No comments:

Post a Comment