Wisdom Headed My Way

I enter my sophomore year in a few days time. Am I really that wise??


Sophos has a Greek origin, meaning "wise." Early Greek teachers, philosophers and imparters of knowledge were called Sophists. The novice, ignorant 'freshman' puts a foot into the world of wisdom. Then comes the 'junior' class of wisdom (sophos) and the 'senior' class. The suffix of sophomore was eventually dropped from the 'junior' and 'senior'. Today we are left with Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Seniors. This college terminology then percolated its way down to the four years of High School. 


So is there lots of Wisdom headed my way? 

If so,

I hold my arms out wide. 


The greek "moros" means foolish! Oh the disappointment! Are sophomores (sophos+ moros) then mere "wise fools?" Isn't that an oxymoron as well, like the mournful optimist?  I don't know about college years, but I can say that this definition pretty much sums up the quintessential high school teen! 


The quintessential High School Teen

Neural activity at its peak

Yet... 

illogical and logical simultaneously


This year I will have American Literature, Algebra II, Biology, World History, Spanish 1, Journalism and P.E. Waiting till next Monday!! My freshman year flew by in the blink of an eye. Oh, and I made it to the Dean's High Honor List in my Freshman Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment