8th Annual Autism Walk at UC Berkeley

Giving an Intro Speech at the Autism Run
Hi everyone. My name is Hari Srinivasan and I’m a student here at Cal. I also write for the Daily Cal.
Berkeley is the birthplace of the disability rights movement and autism is one of the fastest growing neurodevelopmental disabilities today. Autism in all its forms has a voice and we want to make it heard. Did you know my friend David and I are the first two non-verbal students with autism here at Cal. It goes to show that autism too is a diversity category with the wide range of neuro diverse minds that comes with it. Only with more exposure to individuals on the spectrum, will there be a change in mindsets and greater acceptance. Having students with autism can be a win win for all.

When I turned up for the autism walk last year, I did not even know that there was a spectrum organization here at Cal. Since then, I have been doing a wonderful walk with this student organization and learning about the other interesting activities being done in the community for the autism population. I started off on the autism acceptance committee where I did tabling and flyering for the first time in my life. This semester I am actually teaching a class on autism to 20 neurotypical students.

Autism is like a cocoon that morphs into all sorts of unexpected colorful butterflies. If you notice our new logo is a butterfly. The butterfly effect says a small local change can lead to profound and complex changes around the world. That is what you are all doing here today by participating. You are all part of the butterfly effect that will change the way autism is perceived, understood and accepted.

Thank you for making it here today.


THE AUTISM BOARD AT UC BERKELEY

Autism Run Participants

Prepping Label for runners before the run. Opening safety pins is tough work.

Jordan, my fellow DeCal student teacher

The Autism Board


.
.
.
.


..

..
.




No comments:

Post a Comment