Fidget Stim Toys and Autism

Many autistics have sensory processing difficulties and may be hyper- or hypo-sensitive to environmental stimuli. 

Fidget stim toys (eg: stress balls or fidget spinners) have been associated with autism.

Do Fidget toys help ALL autistics? The answer may surprise you.

Do Fidget toys help SOME autistics? YES
  • Can provide tactile or visual stimulation that may help with focus and regulate sensory input.
  • May help reduce maladaptive repetitive behaviors/stims, by providing a more socially acceptable and less disruptive outlet for these behaviors.
Do Fidget toys  help ALL autistics: NO
  • Fidget stim toys don't work for all autistics. 
  • Some autistics may find them more distracting or overwhelming than helpful. 
Sadly I fall into the latter group, I find fidget toys to be very distracting and more overwhelming. Its like I become even more hyper-sensitive as this new variable is now added into my sensory space. I find they are ok to fiddle with as a stand-alone activity for a little while, but not useful in helping regulate my environment on a sustained basis. If I hold onto it, it's stimulating me even more. 

Yet at any autism conference/event I'm invariably handed one or more toys as that supposedly "helps" me. 

For instance, during my undergrad admissions, I'd gone and met with the DSP (access office) of all the colleges I'd gotten admission to. One counselor in one of these colleges suggested that my sensory issues in the classroom could be handled just by holding onto one of these fidget spinners (even gave me a few to take home). 

Oh wow, if only a spinner could make all my sensory issues magic away (sarcasm intended). 

It's important to understand that the needs of each autistic vary. Its not a one-solution fits all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment