Reflections on Societal Stereotyping

So I had a veg La Ratatouille dish for lunch yesterday.

I've been curious about this dish ever since the Pixar movie from childhood. As I was munching, in my mind there was this imaginary "rat"-atouille in the corner of the table, hopping nervously on one foot and anxiously waiting to see if I (the food critic) like the dish. I wanted to assure "Rat"-atouille that the dish was as wholesome as imagined.
The movie had really caught my imagination as a child. There was this rat trying to overturn societal stereotypes as an outcast, a scavenger of society, someone to be avoided. It moves towards being recognized for its talent and the total opposite of societal perceptions.
The food critic being society that is so judgmental of disability or other marginalized groups. A part of us still anxiously waits for approval at every step though that should not be the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment