Community Spotlight


https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1324643144411552&set=a.473050316237510





[Community Spotlight]
Our next spotlight is on Hari Srinivasan, who is Chair of our Education Committee for Spectrum: Autism at Cal.
Hari is a fierce advocate for autism and has also been the lead student instructor for the semester-long Autism DeCal course and writes about autism and disability for the Daily Cal. Hari is also on the board of the national autism advocacy organization, The Autistic Self Advocacy Network, ASAN. His wealth of knowledge, ideas, and experience has been integral in the growth of our organization.
A special thank you to Hari Srinivasan for his unique perspectives and wide support network; his significant contribution has allowed us to be where we are today
You can follow Hari on FB (Hari Srinivasan at Cal), Twitter (@harisri108), his articles in the Daily Cal (www.dailycal.org/author/haris/) or his blog uniquelyhari.blogspot.com.
“As a non-speaking autistic with significant other challenges that affect my daily life, I don't fit the traditional profile of the more put-together college going autistic. Today, I'm an undergraduate here at UC Berkeley majoring in Psychology and enjoying every moment of my interesting college experience which includes working at top notch research labs. So when I think of myself and about autism, the word that comes to mind is possibility, "Hari-as-possibility!" My road is uncharted for sure but without possibility there can be no opportunity. All of us, abled or disabled, want to be contributing members of society. So I hope to do much more in my life and continue to help others along the way.
This is my third semester as a student instructor for the autism course here at UC Berkeley. It has become an increasingly popular class with the initial class size of under 20 increasing to 25 and now to 30+. While acceptance of autism is still in its infancy, I am just so amazed, awed and encouraged by the students in the class each semester who want to expand their knowledge and perspectives on what autism is. My hope is that this will not only positively impact them in the way they come to view and interact with autistics in their future lives but also make them part of the solutions.
It was inevitable that I would be part of Spectrum:Autism at Cal here on campus, though I found out about the student organization only during my second semester, when I passed by the booth on Sproul Plaza. The experience has been very satisfying as the org has increasingly been working on increasing volunteering and community outreach and supporting local autism organizations in addition to raising campus awareness.”


Brian Liu
Thank you for everything you do Hari, and for being a great friend! You work so hard and have taught us so much
Debarshi Kundu
Thank you for being a fierce advocate for autism and autistic people, Hari!

No comments:

Post a Comment